Skip to main content

About your Search

20121224
20130101
Search Results 0 to 2 of about 3
year end tax hikes and spending cuts as president obama warns failure could mean, quote, a self-inflicted wound to the economy. mike emmanuel live. after a lot of focus on john boehner, kind of sounds like democrats and others are counting on the top senate republican to get a deal. is that about right? mitch mcconnell? >> that is spot on. this has been a lot of talk about senator mitch mcconnell's ability to be a deal maker. one area he's working on is the threshold for extending the bush tax cuts. the $250,000 mark has been what democrats have been pitching. negotiations seem to be heading toward keeping the current tax rate for those making up to $400,000, a key senate conservative sounds hopeful. >> i do think that something will happen over the next few days relative to the revenue piece and hopefully we can rescue most americans from a tax increase. but what we haven't dealt with again is the spending component. >> since it is not expected that increasing the nation's borrowing ability, the debt limit will be part of this deal, conservatives may be able to fight for spendi
and that is not a concern. president obama is there spending time with his family for the holiday and yesterday he went golfing before heading to the beach with the first lady and their daughters. aides say the president will have to return to washington in a day or two to deal with you know what the fiscal crisis. chief house correspondented spayeed henry is in hawaii with the president. i assume if there were any conversations between the president and the speaker we would be advised. >> they say there have not been any more calls, no contact between the high school and the speaker. that is a sign that there's been no major progress. they say that the lines of communication are still open between the president's staff, the peaker's staff. also now the circle is widening a little bit and it's including senate staff, because given what happened late last week where speaker boehner's so-called plan b fail in the house there is now momentum to try and get something going in the senate right after christmas and maybe possible something there, some sort of a stop-gap measure, hope they can pass it in the h
leadership. the house has passed two budgets that would spend $7 trillion less than what president obama's budgets were proposed at. again, remember president obama's budgets didn't get a vote from a member of his own party. we do need -- we know -- we understand that his balanced approach is primarily tax increases that don't begin to solve the problem. we are talking right now, even more -- most robust increase in taxes would raise maybe $75 to $80 billion. so this tax increase will take care of maybe 3 to 7% of the deficit. he has talked about a balanced approach. what is the solution for the other 93%? that's what we have to start getting our arms around. creditors around the world, at some point are going to take a look at the united states government and say, we are not going to loan you money. when the interest rates inch up, we crowd out all kinds of spending. if we revert to the average interest rate we had from 1970 to 1999, 5.3% that, cost $600 billion per year in added interest expense. that's what we are trying to avoid with a fiscally responsible plan. >> we stand by with y
Search Results 0 to 2 of about 3